Pregnancy brings in a lot of changes, including a change in your pre-pregnancy weight. The growing baby inside your belly adds in the weight that you also put on as your pregnancy progresses. This additional weight will make your feet to swell and be in pain. It is, therefore, a must that you wear the best shoes for pregnancy. You will know more about why you need to find the most appropriate footwear for pregnancy below.
Why do you need to wear the right shoes for pregnancy?
Your body bears a lot of pain while you are expecting. That has much to do with the additional weight that your baby adds to your weight. As your body expands to accommodate the growing baby inside your tummy, your center of gravity also changes. This will have a great effect in the manner that you walk. It also does a lot about your posture as well as the lower portion of your body responds to the whole weight. Needless to say, it is crucial that you find the most comfortable pair of footwear when you are pregnant to prevent pregnancy-related symptoms as follows:
Swollen feet and legs
Notice that as your belly expands as your pregnancy progresses, the pressure around your pelvic area increases. This increased pressure slows restricts the proper blood flow. This results in the accumulation of fluid and swelling around your feet and ankles. Thus, it makes it quite important to wear a comfortable pair of footwear. For some interesting tips to lessen swelling feet during pregnancy, check out Dr. Robert Fenell’s video.
The restricted blood flow or circulation during pregnancy may also cause the development of varicose veins in various parts of the pregnant woman’s body. As the blood puddles in certain areas of the veins, the veins dilate and bulge out from the skin. They become prominent and looks purplish or bluish in color. Varicose veins can make your legs feel painful and quite heavy. There are pregnant women who may also experience itching or burning sensation on the skin.
Sprain or Trauma to the Ligament
Pregnancy increases the risk of sprains or trauma to the ligament. This results as collagen becomes more flexible during this period because of the increased levels of relaxin hormones. This also helps the pelvic region to easily expand for the upcoming delivery causing the ligaments to be more prone to traumas and sprains.
As you put on pounds, the arched portion of the heel where the plantar fascia or the thick tissue at the bottom of the foot flattens and causes the foot to slowly touch the ground. This causes your footsteps to roll inwards. This change in the movement of the feet puts pressure on the plantar fascia ligament which may result in painful heels during pregnancy. Wearing a pair of shoes that provide support and cushion to your footbed will ease the discomfort and help you maintain balance at the same time.
What should you look for in a maternity footwear
You need to look for a number of things when choosing the right footwear for your condition.
- Consider buying a pair of shoes that are about half bigger than your regular size as this will give more room for your feet. As mentioned earlier, pregnant feet may swell especially during the latter part of the pregnancy. Bigger-sized footwear will give more room for your feet and will, therefore, feel more comfortable.
- Find shoes which are designed with a good arch and ankle support. This will also lessen any discomfort that you may experience around the joints on your feet during pregnancy.
- The best type of shoes that you can wear while you are pregnant is the slip on shoes. You can easily wear these shoes even after your third trimester. You won’t even need to bend to wear them comfortably.
- Consider wearing flat footwear. However, if you really cannot wear flats, look for a pair wide wide and low heels (two-inches max). Low-wide heels can help distribute your body weight better. This can also help ease any discomfort that you may experience during pregnancy.
- Wear insoles in your regular shoes if you can’t find the right pair to fit. This will provide support to your feet.
- Look for a pair that will let your feet to breathe and will not make your feet to sweat. Footwear with a mesh like a canvas shoes is your best options.
- For the most comfortable wear, you may consider one of these shoe types: loafers, canvass shoes, flat sandals, and the ever-reliable pair of sneakers for the ultimate comfort and support that your feet need.
- If you are looking for a footwear that you can put on during the cold season, try a pair of flat winter boots. Opt for one that provides adequate foot support as well as easy enough to put on your feet.
Your safety is of utmost importance while you are pregnant. This includes caring for your feet as it does much to allow you to enjoy even a casual walk along the beach or in the park. The best thing to take care of your feet is to allow it to wear the best shoes for pregnancy. An ill-fitting footwear will add more pain to the list of discomfort that you are already experiencing. If you wear a pair that provides adequate support, you can worry less about having varicose veins, callous, corns, and other related concerns.
Keep your feet happy when you wear comfortable fitting shoes. When you feel happy and have lesser complaints about your condition, it will be easier for you to focus on the things that will maintain the enjoyment that you are already experiencing. That’s double joy for you and your baby.